Cher Lloyd Performs Her New Single "Want You Back" and Talks Snoop Dogg and Wedding Plans

Cher Lloyd first made waves as a 16-year-old contestant on the UK's The X Factor, winning over the judges with her version of Soulja Boy's "Turn My Swag On." Cut to two years later, and Cher is poised to bring her signature style of pop and big personality to the States. Her new single, "Want You Back," featuring a rap by Snoop Dogg, will hit radio stations here today and we were lucky enough to have Cher swing by and perform an unplugged version of the song for us at PopSugar Studios. We talked to Cher about her reaction to hearing Snoop on her song, her outspoken ways, and the moment early in life when she decided to pursue a music career. She also chatted about her fianc Craig Monk, who she said is her "biggest fan," and her plans for her upcoming US album. Check out our interview!

Transcript

like this. Boy you can say anything you wanna. I don't give a. No one else can have you. I want you back, I want you back, I want you, want you, want you back. Just as human as everyone else. Now, I believe to be the artist I wanna be, I need to let people know exactly who I am. Hey everyone, I'm Lindsey from PopSugar, and I'm here with Cher Lloyd today. How's it going? Really good, thank you. So, you've had a pretty crazy busy week it sounds like? Did you do a showcase here the other night? I did. I did it a few days ago, and it went extremely well. What are you excited to sort of introduce people to when it comes to your sound? I would like people to get to know me as a person. And I'd like them to know me before they listen to my music. Okay. Because then I'm a lot more relatable. Interesting. I feel like a lot of artists might say the opposite, that they want to be known for their music. But you want people to really know you. Yeah, you know I am just as human as everyone else, and I believe to be the artist that I wanna be, I need to let people know exactly who I am and what I'm about. Right. 'Cause then, when they listen to my music, they'll understand it more. What I like ab! out you too is that you're known for being kind of outspoken and having a fun sense of humor. So, has that been kind of hard to hang on to now that you are in the public eye? No . No. You know what, what I believe is, I have always been myself, and I shouldn't have to adjust myself to please others. Right. So what kind of role then did you take you know after X-Factor when you were starting to work on your first album? How involved were you then in, like, picking the songs and guiding it? I'm very involved. I mean, I love to write, I love writing my songs. And you know it's all about experimenting. Especially with a first album 'cause you don't necessarily know exactly what road you want to take with it. So was there a moment when you were a little kid that you remember being like, "Okay, I can to this singing thing." It was millennium. And my grandmother put me on a table, literally made me stand on the table, and my whole family was around, like everyone, and she said, "Sing for everyone." And I was super nervous, and she made we sing Titanic. My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion? Yep. That's a big song for a little girl to sing. Yeah. And I belted it out. And I remember getting down and saying, "Nan, I actually want to sing, I want to be a pop star when I grow up." Great. Now, I do want to talk a little bit about the album. Are there gonna be some differences from the U.K. to the U.S. with that? Yes. Definitely. I mean, I've recorded a couple of songs, and I'm gonna record some more, so we can just make the U.S. album a little different to the U.K. Does it feel nice to kind of come to the States now because you almost get to start fresh and reinvent yourself, in a way? Definitely. I mean, I'm not gonna reinvent self, because I'm. You're you. I'm me. And I probably won't ever reinvent myself, but it's good to know that, you know, people don't know anything about me. And now it's sort of like, hey. Yeah. Well that won't last for long. Hopefully not, hopefully not. Now I know too that you are getting married soon.! Yes. So , how crazy everything is. Have you even had time to, like, think about the wedding? Or are you just? Do you know what? My fiance is my biggest fan. He really is. And at the moment to be here in the States is not only important for me, but it's important for him as well. Sure . He likes to see me succeed. And at the moment, my career, it's just an important thing at the moment. Yeah. But there's always time, I'm gonna be with him for the rest of my life. Of course, that's plenty of time. That's plenty of time. Well I really am excited about the new single, "I Want You Back", and I think we're going to get a special performance of that Songs today. Yes. Yes. So super excited. So, let's have your guitar string and let's hear the track. Yeah . La, la, la, la, la Hey boy you never had much game. So I needed to upgrade. So I went and walked away, way way. Now I seen you been hanging out with another girl in town, looking like a pair of clowns, clowns, clowns. Remember all the things that you and I did first, and now you're doing them with her. Remember all the things that you and I did first, you got me, got me like this. And now you're taking her every restaurants. And everywhere we went. Come on. And now your take her to every restaurants. got me, got me like this. Boy you can say anything you wanna. I don't give a, no one else can have ya. I want you back. I want you back want, want you, want you back I'm looking off thinking you'll be crying Now it's like looking at you flying I want you back I want you back. Please this ain't even jealous. jealousy. She ain't got a thing on me. Tryin' to rock them ugly jeans jeans jeans. You Clearly didn't think this through. If what I've been told it's true. You'll be crawling back like glue. Do. Remember all the things that you and I did first. And now you're doing them with her. Remember all the things that you and I did first. Gone on me like this. And now your taking her to every restaurants and everywhere we went . Come on. And now your every restaurants. got me, g! ot me li ke this. Boy you can say anything you wanna. I don't give a, no one else can have ya. I want you back, I want you back, want, want you,want you back, want you, want you back I broke it off thinking you'd be cryin'. How'd you like lookin' at you flyin' I want you back. I want you back, want, want you, want you back. So, Cher that was a great performance. Thank you so much. Thank you. I love that song in an acoustic version. Oh, thank you very much. So when can fans in the States expect your album to drop? There's not yet a date, but I need to get into the studio and record a few more songs. I feel like the US needs a little some bit more. I heard there might be a special guest on the US version of Want You Back. Yes, there is. Can you tell me who it is? It's Snoop Dogg. Okay, that's pretty amazing. What's it like to work with him? I didn't actually get to work with him, but he was very, very polite, and yeah, he sounds great on the phone. Well, what was it like the first time to hear your track with his rap on it? Lyric, I wish I could tell you what those lyrics are, because it gets to me every single time. But yeah, he kind of says my name and stuff and it's like, wow. When is your single going to drop on the radio here? The 22nd. The 22nd, all right We will wait patiently for the album. Mmhm. But in the meantime like you said, you can hear Want You Back on the radio soon. Thank you so much for coming by Cher.


Comments