I love Cher Lloyd and I'm not afraid to admit it!

Before we begin, I feel I must make a confession. My name is Tom, I'm 21 years old and I'm a Brat - I wholeheartedly and without irony love Cher Lloyd. Ever since 'Sticks + Stones', Cher's debut album, came out I've had to try and justify this affection to every passenger in my car, but I find it near impossible to put into words without resorting to "she's just amazing so nerrrr." I'll try and be a little more literate here, though. And so my reasons for loving Cher are as follows:

1. That audition

Seriously, in the 18 months that have passed since her X-Factor audition aired, I have found myself almost entirely unconsciously watching it back at least once a week. And it still gives me goose bumps. She just absolutely nails it. Swag well and truly turned on.

2. "The guy who raps insanely quick on 'Grow Up'wait that's BUSTA RHYMES?!"

Oh yeah, Busta drops by and spits a few bars on the first track on the album. Any one name me any other X Factor contestants that could entice a genuine, bona fide rap superstar to work on their DEBUT album? Nah, didn't think so.

3. "And I don't even care if you sing my songs wrong"

On first listen, I absolutely hated Mike Posner's guest appearance on 'With Ur Love'. But suddenly it all clicked. Cheryl Cole courted great controversy when she picked Cher in the judges' houses stage of X Factor after Cher messed up the words toyeah; you guessed it - Mike Posner's 'Cooler than Me'.

4. Swagger Jagger

After a while, Cher became quite the hate figure on X Factor and faced a great deal of criticism and abuse from the general public. And this was how she responded. Brilliant.

5. She's beautiful

I really didn't want to get all superficial, but she is.

6. Cher's the kind! a girl t o put dub on the track

'Dub on the track' doesn't really fit in with the rest of the album, but seems to give a glimpse of the kind of music Cher would like to make without the pressures of a record deal with a early-teen target audience. Featuring some of the top names in the Grime genre right now, I could see the song charting top 10 easily where it to be released by, say, Yasmin or Katy B.

7. Tattoos!

Contrary to what your parents may think, tattoos ARE cool. That's a fact. And Cher's got loads. She's insanely cool.

8. A wilful disregard for grammar that should be applauded

"Yes, I went to school. Yes, I can spell y-o-u -r. And no, I do not honestly believe boy is spelt b-o-i. But I'm Cher Lloyd and I do things my way, ok?" I, for one, am not arguing.

9. Stay

Did you see it? Did you? Go watch it. Now. No rapping, no gimmicks, no nothing. Just Cher and her incredible voice, giving what is - in my opinion - one of the best X Factor performances ever.

10. She's just amazing

So nerrrr!


Comments