Cher Lloyd's TV tears over web bullies

The singer has opened up about the torment she's suffered at the hands of internet abusers, during and after her stint on the 2010 X Factor.

The frank interview forms part of Panorama special Hunting The Internet Bullies, going out tonight on BBC One.

Struggling to keep her composure, she tells Declan Lawn: "My Facebook page exceeded the amount of friends you could have. It was excitement for me. I just clicking 'confirm' because I couldn't believe how many people wanted to be my friend.

"Growing up was a bit difficult for me I wasn't able to have friends like that because I was very, very different.

"There have been many times where I've cried myself to sleep. I am very scared, and I've never said that.

Tears ... Cher Lloyd

Tears ... Cher Lloyd

"I like to think that people think I'm strong, because if they don't they might not think I can do it. I am in some ways but some days I just wish that people would leave me alone for a little bit.

"I wish for there to be a hole to suck me in. I never thought that I could talk to anyone about it because I didn't feel that I needed to.

"I thought I'd be strong enough to get through it on my own but I think that's the worst thing you could possibly do."

The 18-year-old Swagger Jagger star recently lifted the lid on her online hell, saying the ordeal prompted her to throw her weight behind a campaign against internet bullying.

She said: "It's a miracle I'm still alive - I've been driven to hell and back. The worst thing I've suffered was when I received a death threat against my mum. It was her birthday and she was destroyed. She was a total wreck. I was so angry - say what you want about me, but don't upset her.

"I think these people need help. To do that to someone, there's got to be something wrong with you. It sounds strange but I feel sorry for them. Maybe they've got a! trouble some life, to feel the need to pick into other peoples.

"When I was on The X Factor, because of my insecurities, I put on a front and I was this big, hard, cocky wannabe. But I'm nothing like that in real life."

Cher recently got engaged to her hairdresser boyfriend Craig Monk after just over six months together.

Panorama: Hunting The Internet Bullies is on BBC One tonight at 8.30.


Comments