Cher makes her message Lloyd and clear

In the interview on Radio 1 Cher spoke candidly about the abuse she's suffered at the hands of internet bullies determined to make her life hell.

Accompanied by her hairdresser fianc Craig Monk, the 2010 X Factor contestant told the station: "I felt like I didn't fit in and I wasn't what everyone wanted.

"I wasn't the perfect pop star that people wanted me to be and it made me feel really, really lonely."

Cher Lloyd dressed in floral jeans and trainers

Flower power ... Cher Lloyd in colourful jeans and trainers

Stuart Castle / WENN.com

Revealing she gets called a "dirty pikey" online at least ten times a day, Cher added: "When I was getting all this abuse, I became completely cut off from everything.

"I didn't want to go out of the house, I didn't want to speak to anyone. I didn't want to do anything just in case something really bad happened to me.

"I always tend to fear for my safety. You never know what's going to happen and it would be nice to get a bit of trust back, to know that people aren't going to try and hurt me."

The reason she's lifted the lid on her ordeal is to let other victims of web bullying know they're not alone.

She said: "I was sick of crying. I was sick of sitting there any thinking 'I hate what I'm doing. I hate that I've gone on a show, and now everyone knows me.

"I'm public property and there's nothing I can do - I've got to deal with it. And then I realised that I don't have to deal with it on my own.

"The message that I've got for people is: I've always tried to act the hard person and that was just a front for me.

"It's about time now that I let people realise that I'm a real person and if I can do it, with all these people that want a piece of me, then other victims can speak out as well."

Cher Lloyd signs autographs for fans

Good sport ... Cher Lloyd signs autographs for fans

The singer, 18, donned some quirky floral jeans for her trip to the Radio 1 studios in London, teaming the attire with equally colourful trainers, a grey jumper and a furry-hooded duffel coat.

She accessorised the look with a cascade of wavy hair extensions and a pair of lengthy false eyelashes.

Earlier this week Cher appeared on a Panorama special, Hunting the Internet Bullies, explaining that she lives in terror and frequently cries herself to sleep.

Cher spoke of how after finding fame on The X Factor her social networking site when into overdrive with people wanting to connect with her.

She told the BBC show: "My Facebook page exceeded the amount of friends you could have. I couldn't believe how many people wanted to be my friend.

"There have been many times when I've cried myself to sleep. I'm very scared because I like to think people think I'm strong, because if they don't, then they might not think I can do it.

"Some days I wish that people would leave me alone for a bit and for there to be a hole to suck me in."


Comments